Friday 28 December 2012

Ryder cup captain

I rather agree with Darren Clarke that the introduction of Tom Watson is an inspired choice by the USA. He is a true golfing icon to my mind, and one who commands total respect.
The question is, who will be his opponent. I am not sure that Monty would want the job, but agree that perhaps Darren may be on the right track in regards to that option.
The next time I see Monty at Gleneagles I will be sure to ask him for his view!!. He so often around so I will keep my eyes peeled.
It would be unkind to think that Paul McGinley was not up to the task, bearing in mind his vast experience both playing and as part of the team behind the scenes.
It also begs the question how important is the captain. I think it is important that the players have respect for their captain. I think the order of play and partners can sometimes be over analysed with the players themselves truly in charge of their destinies.The most mercurial Captain of them all was Seve, but frankly he not only inspired the team but also nearly drove some of them to distraction. In particular Monty nearly collapsed at the end with the barrage of advice!!.
Here's one for the pot... If he is not playing in the team... Thomas Bjorn. I think he has the respect of the players, as a man who has been heavily involved in the Tour Players board.
Interested if any one might rate Mark James as a possible, but finally but not least, if they are prepared to look at second chance captain...How about our own Sam Torrance.. At home.. Got to be worth a shout surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment